What is the Center for the Memory Impaired?
Our Center for the Memory Impaired provides a modern, fully equipped facility designed especially to create a comfortable and relaxing environment for those with a sometimes frightening condition: memory impairment. All staff members, from RNs and LPNs to maintenance and housekeeping workers are specially trained to understand the unique needs of memory impaired residents.
This fully equipped facility includes the following:
- Secure, self-contained, comfortable environment
- Access to physicians 24/7
- 24-hour nursing care
- Social services, including socialization and peer interaction
- Nutritional services that accommodate special diets
- Professional therapeutic activities
- Staff trained specifically for Alzheimer’s and dementia care
- Large nurses’ stations
- Residents’ lounge specially designed for Alzheimer’s patients
- Full rehabilitation facility
Additional Centers for the Memory Impaired are at the following Skilled Nursing Centers
- Highland Park Care Center
- Providence Care Center
- Kittanning Care Center
- Greensburg Care Center
- Colonial Park Care Center
- Riverside Care Center
- Cambria Care Center
As well as three Personal Care Centers
Click for more information on the Center nearest you.
All employees in our Center for the Memory Impaired receive special training to understand and work with people with dementia.
Our Center for the Memory Impaired also features:
- A Restorative Department, which offers retraining in daily activities such as ambulation and social dining
- An Activities Department, which works to maintain each resident at his or her highest level of function
- A Social Services Department, which serves the resident as well as family and friends
What Is Alzheimer's?
Alzheimer's disease is a progressive, neurodegenerative disease characterized by loss of function and death of nerve cells in several areas of the brain, leading to loss of mental functions such as memory and learning. Alzheimer's disease is the most common cause of dementia.
For information about Alzheimer's call 800-272-3900, or click www.alz.org. to reach the Alzheimer's Association web site. It is a great source of helpful information and support.
Other Causes of Memory Impairment
Alzheimer's is the most common, but not the only, cause of memory impairment. Following are some of the other possible causes:
- Transient ischemic attack
- Parkinson's disease
- The normal aging process